Mowing lawns can seem like a rather simple task, and in essence this is of course true. For the lawn care professional though, there is so much more involved in mowing lawns correctly, not just to achieve a beautiful looking carpet of green once the mowing is completed, but in knowing that how a lawn is regularly mowed also plays a large factor in the overall health of the turf itself. Yes, mowing practices do have a direct health result to the lawn when either done correctly or incorrectly.
When we think about what we can do and alter with lawn mowing practices, there really are only two factors that come into play. The first is how long we keep the leaf of the turf when mowing, and the second is the frequency of the lawn mowing service. And it is from these two practices that we can greatly alter the health of our lawns for the better or for the worse.
Keeping Lawns With A Long Leaf
Photosynthesis is the process of lawns and plants which takes direct sunlight and uses that energy to create food for the lawn or plant out of the available nutrients in the soil. The longer the leaf of the lawn, directly increases the amount of food the turf can then produce for itself to stay healthy and strong. While a lawn which is mowed at very low heights can produce much less food, and thus these lawns will require far greater attention to their overall health, or otherwise risk becoming sick or even at risk of possible death of the lawn.
With this knowledge, we can then easily see that lawns which are subject to partial shaded conditions will need to have their leaf kept longer than a lawn which is being grown in full sun. The partial shaded turf requires a longer leaf to power more photosynthesis with less direct sunlight. Whereas a lawn in full sun can easily have its leaf length kept much shorter and still maintain the same level of photosynthesis and food production.
Therefore, this lawn mowing tip is a rather simple one to understand and adjust to, and is something which can have a major impact on the health of our turf, just in the simple fact of how long we keep the lawn leaf under different direct sunlight or shade conditions.
Frequency Of Lawn Mowing
While lawn mowing can be a chore for many busy people, and something which we are all guilty of putting off for too long sometimes, regular lawn mowing is also important for overall lawn health.
The first reason for maintaining regular lawn mowing is that if we leave lawns to become too long between mowings, then the thatch layer will increase in the lawn, and the crowns of the turf will raise higher… which when eventually mowed, can easily cause lawn scalping or having the lawn dying off in areas where the crowns of the lawn have been removed when mowing. Leaving lawns too long between mowing is always a high risk of causing lawn damage when the turf is finally mowed.
While the above example is a worst case scenario of leaving lawns for far too long in between mowing, even regular mowing should be given careful consideration as to frequency.
While regular maintenance ensures that not too much leaf material is removed at any single service, which then keeps the lawn looking greener and without even mild scalping, there is one more factor to consider as to the timing of cutting our lawns… which is mulch mowing.
Mulch mowing is when we put a plug into the rear of a specially designed lawn mower, which instead of collecting the grass clippings, sends those same clippings through the blades of the mower several times to finely chop them into very small pieces, before depositing those same clippings back into the lawn.
Mulch mowing is a wonderful way to feed the lawn with its own supply of nutrients, as well as insulating the lawn soil from excessive moisture loss in warmer weather. Mowing more regularly will ensure these grass clippings will be cut up even finer and will be in less quantity, which then allows this natural mulch to break down into the lawn soil much more quickly. So the overall mulching process is greatly more efficient when the lawn is being mowed more often.
While there are many factors involved in keeping any lawn green and healthy, one of the least thought of considerations of this process is the humble lawn mower, which we hardly ever think of as a lawn care tool that can improve lawn health on its own. However we can see clearly how just two small changes to how we mow our lawns can have tremendous benefits on our lawn health.
Roger Everett has been a professional operating in the lawn care industry for 15 years, who now shares his experience, as well as his love and passion for lawns with others at his dedicated Saint Augustine grass lawn care site. Roger covers most turf care topics in depth for homeowners, such as discussing the correct fertilization of lawns for Winter, as well as more specialized St Augustine turf care topics including natural prevention of lawn pests. For more articles similar to this one, please visit The Saint Augustine Lawn Care Site.
For most of us, gardening is a hobby and something that we like performing either for leisure or to keep our homes looking beautiful for ours as well as the lookers’ eyes. It involves taking proper care of the lawn by mowing it well, clearing of the weeds from the flower beds, brushing aside fallen leaves and twigs from the trees and plants that are a part of our garden. You cannot deny the fact that apart from emitting residential garbage from our kitchen, our garden too comes up with necessary waste that is not required anymore such as dried leaves or cut grass.
The effects of green waste on our environment
Quite often, you would notice that there are people dispose these green wastes from our gardens into the neighbourhood garbage bins. These bins collect almost all possible garbage right from the recyclable ones to those that aren’t recyclable. Often, these end up in garbage dumps and thus adding to the landfill and creating soil, water and air pollution and disturbing the environment. To help you with sorting out the guilt of being a bad contributor to the environment with improper garbage disposal, you could opt for professional removalists. They are people who have a business altogether of helping people get rid of waste and simultaneously contributing well to the environment. While you hire them for green waste removal from your garden, here are a few benefits that you would enjoy without the guilt.
• Keeps you and your surroundings safe – Collection of green waste for a long time in a designated place often leads to rotting and emission on harmful gases such as methane, carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide. There are hazardous liquids too that often come out of these and thus polluting the air, soil as well as the water table underground. While the professionals come over, they would segregate you garbage collection and collect the green waste in separate bins to treat them rightly.
• Keeps you safe from pests – While you have a collection of green wastes at one end of your backyard, it gets cosy for mites and parasites to find a new home in there. These pests often attack better living spaces like that of your house and them you would find pest infestation such flies, mosquitoes, cockroaches, rats, mice and several others that may cause illnesses to you and your family members. While these wastes are rightly removed by the professionals as and when they are collected, you could avoid such pest interference and stay healthy.
• They treat the green waste well – As they are professionals, they have collaborations with agencies that ensure safe treatment of green wastes. Composting with the right methods helps in creating fertilizers for agriculture and what better way to avail such natural ingredients without having to use chemicals for crops. It not only save the environment from getting polluted but also ensures that you contribute in a good way.
We possibly could not ever imagine living without the continuous supply of electricity such is our dependence on electrical energy. From providing lighting, cooling and heating to powering all of our electrical appliances, electricity has become part and parcel
of our daily lives. However, we should not forget that if it is used incorrectly, it can injure or even put human lives in danger.
Our homes totally rely on electric energy to supply us with food, light, entertainment, heating and cooling. A lot of accidents involving electricity happen in homes and the major areas of worry are mentioned below.
Our homes are packed with electrical appliances – from microwave and toaster to refrigerator and television set, but there are safeguards that need to be adhered to prevent the danger arising from electrocution.
- Ensure appliances like computer monitors and television sets that produce heat have sufficient inches of clearance all around for good air circulation.
- Refrain from pushing anything into an appliance like the toaster.
- Prior to cleaning appliances, switch them off and unplug.
- Switch off appliances like ovens, air conditioners, heaters etc. while leaving your home.
- With wet hands, never touch any electrical appliance.
- Don’t fold an electric blanket in order to store it because the wires may crack or bend.
- Check the appliances at regular intervals for defective or broken plugs, cords and switches and change them or get them repaired at once.
- In case, you discard them, ensure that they can’t be used by anyone else.
Although lights seem to be gentle, they are quite capable of inducing electrocution. While handling lights of any type, the following tips should be adhered to remain safe:
- To avoid overheating, always use a light bulb with the right wattage.
- Prior to changing a light bulb, always switch off the light.
- Refrain from using wet hands to change a light bulb or to touch a light switch.
- Get the plates detached by a certified electrician in case tiling is being performed around the light fittings or switches.
- Don’t take out the plate around the light while painting a ceiling instead cover it.
It is through cords that we are able to connect appliances to the power supply and this also needs to be handled with good care. Following are the safety tips for electrical cords:
- Completely loosen up the cords prior to use to avoid overheating.
- At all times, take out a cord from the wall at the plug because pulling on the cord itself is not safe.
- When using extension cords for outside use, make sure that the extension cords are rated for outdoor use and ensure the connections are shielded from the weather.
- Yes, extension cords must be used as a temporary solution only and ought to be placed around the walls to avert tripping and it should not be placed under the rugs or carpet.
Electricity and water don’t mix and so in wet areas extra caution should be observed, which include the following:
- While working in wet areas such as the laundry, wear rubber-soled footwear.
- In the bathroom, disconnect and safely store electric shavers and hair dryers every time they are not in use.
- In the bathroom, avoid using portable electric heaters.
- Refrain from using extension cords in wet areas unless intentionally designed for such use.
- To avoid splashing, keep stereos well away from the swimming pools and spas.
Power Boards & Adapters
- We tend to use so many appliances in our day to day lives that a single power outlet is often not adequate; however, care should be taken while using double power boards or adapters.
- Don’t piggy-back a double adapter because it can induce an electrical fire.
- Ensure the power board has the correct amperage to support the appliances that are plugged into it; however, never overload a power board with too many appliances.
- It is recommended to use power boards always with inbuilt safety devices like overload switches.
- Inspect power boards at regular intervals for signs of discolouration or scorching and change at once if detected.
- Make sure power boards have sufficient ventilation to shield from overheating.
- It is recommended to switch off the power boards from the wall outlet always if they are not in use for any time duration.
Electricity can be a dangerous outside the home too and care should be taken here too. Following are the major areas of concern.
Wires that you can’t see at all pose a greater danger than overhead power lines. In such situations, the following tips should be observed.
- You should call 1100 prior to digging any type of hole or ditch in your backyard, as there may be underground power cables passing through.
- Try to find out where the electrical wires are before drilling into the walls, especially around the power points and light switches.
Overhead power lines hold enormous voltages, thus special care requires to be taken around them. Adhere to below-mentioned safety tips around the power lines.
- Make sure there are no overhead power lines in the area before installing an antenna, raising a ladder or putting up a boat mast.
- In the area surrounding the powerlines, the tress should be trimmed by professionals and preferably should plant low-growing vegetation in such areas.
- Ensure that near overhead power lines, your children don’t climb trees or fly kites.
- Suppose, you’re on your roof for whatever reason, just remain away from the power lines that connect your home to the grid.
Prevention is better than cure goes the saying! Shield yourself from all the potential electrical accidents by following these simple rules:
- It is recommended to use the services of a certified electrician always.
- Don’t ever try for DIY electrical work; not only it is illegal but also it can lead to electrocution or fires.
- It is recommended to change all old ceramic wire-type fuses with switch-type circuit breakers.
- To detect possible risks, get a licensed electrician to perform an electrical safety audit of your home or business.
- Install safety switches or RCDs (Residual Current Devices). They will cut power flow in one thousandth of a second during an emergency, which aids in preventing electrocution.
- To make sure safety switches are in good working condition, test them every 3 months.
Although electricity has the potential to kill, we can live safely using it provided we apply common sense and also teach our kids to do the same. Electricity can continue to be a great assistant in all stages of our lives.
It is very significant if the overall natural state of the modern world is considered.
As a matter of fact, today’s world is an advanced world. Various actors are present in this world hat declare improvement of a worthy kind. All of these improved aspects would have not been possible without the participation of the curiousness of human mind and the constant urge of development of the human nature. These can be considered as the inclinations that humans were engaged upon and these became helpful in bringing improvement in almost all of the aspects by which their world is composed of. These elements led humankind to newer attributes than previous ones and helped them to form a great deal of elevated systemisations, which, in terms, assisted to make the present world a notably advanced place to live in. The participation of the human curiousness and the attitude to advancement are, thus, responsible for not only the presence of the modern improvement, but also the continuity of it in a rapid pace.
We can consider science and technology as the main thing that helped this improvement conceived by humans. As a matter of fact, science and technology is one of the definitive factors in the human sphere. These factors – from the beginning of their discovery – have stayed with mankind in almost all cases. Since history, science and technology has participated in the journey that mankind undergone. If we pay a closer attention on the role of science and technology, we shall be able to identify that it has assisted humankind in many ways and pushed it towards a continuous advancement. IT is nature of science and technology to guide us towards new means of development and you cannot ignore it. Today’s world has science and technology as two of the most powerful elements of the human world.
But, almost everything has a pessimistic side. Similarly, science and technology also delivered some appalling factors packaged with the gifts it offered to the human world. One of them is pollution. Pollution has the ability slowly poison our Mother Earth. Pollution is present is air, water, soil, and in other natural means. Air pollution is even present at your home, your rooms, and almost everywhere. The pollutants present in contaminated air become the reasons of various air borne diseases, sicknesses, allergies, and other health complications. But, a home air purifier can solve this problem. Those purifiers manufactured from the house of Blueair are effective as the purifiers of this company utilises the latest technologies to filter air and make it free from pollutants.
How to save money on electricity?
I was very frustrated a few months back because my electricity bill was ruining my life, as it was very high. The huge electricity bill, which comes every 56 days at my home, was disturbing the balance of my monthly household budget. I was very angry with this and finally contacted the BSES electricity department in my area and told them that I am not using this much electricity and you have some problems in your system or the bill is wrongly calculated. Now, you might be wondering what they told me? They told me that our system is totally okay and error free and it may be possible that you are not taking the necessary steps to lower your electricity bill and might be waisting it. So, I requested them to give me some tips so that I can lower my electricity bill. A senior manager at BSES Delhi then told me to take a piece of paper and write down some tips on saving electricity. I wrote down those tips on that bit of paper and started following them. Then what, it was a miracle for me. My electricity bill of August 2008 not only came down a little bit, but it came down to approximately 30% to 40%. I was so amazed with this. My family and me are so happy now that we are saving money on the electricity bill and the monthly budget is balanced.
Why I am sharing all this stuff with you?
When I was surfing hubpages yesterday, I found out a hub request “How to lower your electric bill? Mines is sky high!”. Then, I decided why not share these tips, which have worked for me, with my fellow hubbers and the internet community, so that they can also save money on their high electricity bills.
I have elaborated these tips to make them easy to understand for you:
- Use good wiring, as old wiring needs to be changed at least in 10 years.
- Perfect earthing. If necessary, install a new copper earthing from meter to your house with zero leakage current. If there is a leakage of current, your meter is on for 24 hours. This is a good idea for saving power.
- At night before sleeping, completely switch off TV, DVD, music systems, etc. and remember not to put them on idle mode, again, TURN THEM OFF COMPLETELY.
- Use POT-type fan regulators instead of ROTARY-switch type.
- Use power saver lamps or CFLs (compact tube lights) which can be placed into BULB holders.
- Minimize use of microwaves, ovens, mixers, grinders, etc.
- Do not use washing machines daily, collect clothes for two to three days and then use the washing machine. In this way, electricity will be used only once in three days for washing your clothes.
- Switch off PC when not in use.
- Switch off monitors of your PC when you know that you have to again log in the system after 10 minutes or so.
- Clean the back of your refrigerator at least once in a month, this will reduce the dust on it, dissipating the heat generated by your refrigerator quite well, thereby increasing its efficiency and reducing your turning on your refrigerator’s mode to coldest, thereby using less electricity, as turning coldest mode on consumes maximum energy whereas cold mode or the lowest mode is the energy saver mode.
- Always use the energy saver mode for air-conditioners, as this will use less energy and the room temperature will also remain constant. At night in summer months when there is more heat outside, the temperate is very high and you need to sleep for around 6 to 8 hours, switch your ACs temperature to the lowest degree and set its auto timer to 1 or 2 hours as you like. Close all the doors and windows ensuring there is no excessive air leak from any corner of your room. This will help in reducing or lowering power consumption on your air‑conditioning of the room, as after one hour or so, the AC will switch off but then also you will be in sound sleep and the temperature of the room will remain intact for around 6 hours or more.
- Instead of using vacuum cleaners twice or thrice in a month, use them only once in a month and vacuum clean all your furniture, like sofa upholstery, cots, beds, curtains, car seat covers, and chair fabrics once in a month.
Since officially launching in August 2015, Hero™ Clean has had much success with their one-of-a kind, first ever home cleaning product line, Built for Men. Hero™ Clean’s innovative household items include laundry detergent, all-purpose spray cleaner, liquid dish soap, and odor eliminating spray.
According to Euromonitor, in Hero Clean’s categories; laundry care, surface care, dishwashing and air care; category sales top $111 billion globally and $18 billion domestically.
Founded in 2013, the Hero™ Clean Home Cleaning Products line was created specifically with men and their cleaning regimen in mind. Understanding that the laundry and cleaning aisles were exclusively full of products fragranced, packaged, and marketed for/to women – Hero™ Clean was born from that void in the marketplace for the 100+ millions guys buying cleaning products these days. Learn more at: https://hero-
“Research has shown a significant increase in the amount of housework men take on in today’s society,” expresses CEO and Founder of Hero™ Clean Mike Eaton, “Hero Clean just launched in August and sales are about 1/2 million dollars.”
There has been a 20% increase in the amount of single adult males in the US in the past 10 years, with predictions of a sharp increase over the next decade. In addition, men are getting married later life, with 29 as the average first marriage age.
Although cleaning is often associated with a women’s household duty, these statistics conclude more men who are living on their own are stepping up to the plate and taking responsibility in keeping their living environment and belongings clean and in tiptop shape. However, it’s not only the single guys who are cleaning. In married households, 42% of housework is done by men, which has doubled since the 1980’s; and nearly 60% of men 35-54 are primarily responsible for laundry.
Whether married, in a relationship or single, the Hero™ Clean product line will benefit just about any guy who who’s looking to tidy up. With more single men, college kids, and men sharing chores than any time before in history, men deserve to use products that compliment their style, cleaning regimens, and taste.
Each Hero™ Clean product can be purchased individually with prices ranging from $5 – $15, or as a “Kit” – all of these essential weapons for $20.00 (at hero-clean.com)
All of the products feature the original Hero™ Clean scent, a fresh, clean, subtle fragrance that’s not fruity or flowery. Carefully designed by fragrance experts responsible for the world’s finest colognes, Hero Clean’s original scent is based on Juniper, and a main ingredient in Gin. The connection results in a scent that finally brings a fresh clean sophistication at a manly level to the cleaning products aisle.
The product formulations were built from scratch to match the way guys clean – clean quickly, delay, delay, delay, then finally clean again. Formulations focus on left-on dirt, stains, food, etc. in all parts of the home and on laundry and feature heavy duty cleaning performance that easily cleans everything up with little hassle. The products are also flexible and multi-use (dish soap can be used as a hand soap, to mop, etc. All-Purpose spray cleaner can be used on any surface).
Laundry Detergent: Heavy duty performance, specifically designed to get long-sitting stains and odors out of laundry. HE and non HE compatible.
Dish Soap: Super aggressive on grease and dried on food. Also great for using when you need a bucket of soapy water for car, mopping, bathroom cleaning, etc.
All Purpose Spray Cleaner: Great on cutting dirt and grease, but flexible enough to be used on all hard surfaces. No need for 17 different surface cleaners, this bottle does it all.
Odor Eliminating Spray: The delay mechanism. For anything that needs a little freshening up between cleaning, spray it now, deal with it later. Features an extended fragrance technology that reactivates the fragrance in the sprayed area for weeks after spraying it.